Tuesday, 5 November 2013

A snippet from "An Acute Attraction".

An hour after I arrive back at the hotel, I am sitting in the bar area and have just finished reading the local newspaper when I see him. Oh.My.God! I’m sure I could hear a celestial choir of angels signalling his arrival. Willing my heart to slow from its rapid beating, I take several deep breaths. Calm yourself Chambers, he’s just a man. Ok, a goddam sumptuous and heavenly looking man, but still just a man.

Distraction! Thinking of a distraction I decide to go over to the bar and order another Pinot. With a half full glass in hand I call one of the bartenders over. Realising I now look like an alcoholic; I turn to return to my seat.

“Shit!” I look upwards to where those angels could have alerted me.

Not two seats away from where my jacket is draped over a chair, Mr Fantastic is sitting back with his right foot leisurely resting on his left thigh, as he casually reads a broadsheet newspaper.

This is stupid! Deciding to get a grip of myself, I valiantly walk back to my seat, placing both of the large wine glasses on to the dark oak table. I have brought my kindle with me, if I’m honest I take it everywhere and so reaching into my bag I pull it out to find the latest, newly released book I have been reading for the past week. I’m not afraid to admit that I enjoy reading contemporary, erotic romance novels, just like the one’s you’ve read no doubt. Saying that, I’m thankful that the advantage of having a Kindle is that there is no cover to the book to advertise the fact. Starting from where I left off, I continue reading occasionally sipping at my wine.

Don’t ask me what makes me look up from my book; I must have a sixth sense or something, but when I do, Mr Fantastic is looking directly at me, with an amused look on his beautifully sculptured face.

As I am looking behind to see if there is someone else standing there, he speaks to me, yes to me!

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to stare at you. It’s just that you were making some rather interesting faces. Then when you giggled to yourself and bit your lip… Well I just found it amusing; in a winsome kind of way of course.”

I listen to his seductive American accent, but my sense of hearing has shut down not long after he said “interesting faces”, so his hot, sensual mouth is still moving without any of the sound coming out.

Once I see he has stopped I reply “Oh!”

You have got to be kidding me Chambers. Oh! Is that all I can say? Bloody “Oh!”

If I could, I would face plant myself on to the table right this instant, however knowing that it isn’t an option here I continue.

“I’m sorry about that. I didn’t mean to disturb you from your reading.”

“Oh you didn’t don’t worry. I found it, how can I say, cute in a way.”

Did my stomach just do a spectacular, triple axel or am I imagining it? As the row of six perfect scores goes up, I deduce that it wasn’t my imagination.

Turning his attention back to his paper, it takes me a good 5 minutes to compose myself. I need to talk to my best friend Jackie like now. This is a moment where I know I really need her and her sound, logical thinking advice. 











1 comment:

  1. Love this excerpt! I'm going to buy the book thanks to this! BRAVO, AJ WALTERS, You are a great writer and I can't wait to read more of your work! :D

    ReplyDelete